Monday, July 02, 2007

Where has common courtesy gone?

Sleeping is definitely one of the more important activities in my life. I need it more than I need food. Even my parents, who happen to be early risers AND are strict preachers of the-early-bird-gets-the-worm thing, leave me be when they see that I need to sleep in. Which is why I totally get pissed when my sleep gets interrupted. And this is exactly what happened this morning.

9:30 am... phone rings... I got up as quickly as I can thinking that it could be Mark calling to check if I'm okay. And by "as quickly as I can," I meant that I got there by the tenth ring (and this is already an amazing feat for me).

me: Hello! (happy "hello" reserved for Mark)

...nothing...

me: Hello, good morning. (If it had been Mark, he would have already spoken)

"call center person" sounding person: Hello, I'm looking for Domingo.

me: Sorry, miss. Wala pong Domingo dito. Baka po wrong number.

ccpsp: Ay, ganon?

... dial tone...

WHAAAAAAAT?!? I know this happens pretty often, wrong-number people suddenly putting down the phone without even apologizing, BUT it still got to me. It would have taken her 2 seconds to say a simple "Oh, sorry."

Showing good manners appears to have been lost in our current way of living. Little gestures like saying “thank you,” giving up seats for the elderly and/or pregnant women, letting people pass when they cross the street (so long as they are crossing on the ped xing lane and when the "little man" is green), these are things that I usually expect but seldom experience nowadays. Why is that?? It appears that common courtesy took a permanent vacation and forgot to send me a memo...

1 Comments:

Blogger mrt said...

you should blog more often bie..

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home