Friday, February 01, 2008

"why are the filipinos really so stupid???"

I have ten bajillion contacts in my Cookay Shop Multiply account. Everyday, I get around 200 to 300 emails alerts of these peep's newly uploaded blogs, photo albums, music, etc. And, believe it or not, I enjoy sifting through the alerts. I call it E-voyeurism (but not in a sexual way). I enjoy peeping into other people's thoughts and lives, with their consent.

I chanced upon this particular photo album while I was weeding through my daily Multiply updates. I got curious so I clicked on the link.

Here is the text that accompanied the photos featuring a mound of garbage under a "Bawal na ang Basura dito"sign.


"why are the filipinos really so stupid???"
my dad have to park our car beside this street somewhere coz he has to get something... and while i was waiting inside the car, suddenly i looked outside the car window and saw this disgusting view... like so yucky... imagine the owner of the area already put a sign that throwing garbage on this area is prohibited and still those unmannered people still do this uneducated manner... i am really disgust and so pissed tlga... i am not gross about the garbage, but for the people who are so pathetic to do this unmannered act... im so disgust!!!"

I can really feel this young person's disgust over the blatant defiance committed by whoever dumped their garbage. I agree that SOME Filipinos lack the discipline to obey even the simplest of rules. Some, but not all. So, sorry missy. Whoever you are. You get an F from me. F for the sweeping generalization. And another F for the atrocious (nosebleed) grammar.

Which brings me to my main concern. Why are there so many college students who cannot construct grammatically correct sentences? During my stint as a tutor-lecturer, I've had the opportunity to read and grade more than a hundred essays written by students from different schools. I can remember only a handful who had an okey command of the language.

What is causing this English proficiency crisis?? And what are we doing about it?
During an oral recitation in class (I'm going for a second degree, in Education this time), there was this one educ student, who almost cried because she could not make the prof understand what she was trying to say. Until she blurted, "Tagalog na lang, sir. Hindi ko talaga kaya." I remember thinking, if I see this student teaching at my son's school, I'd transfer him to another.
If this is the quality of teachers that my son is going to get when he goes to school, maybe I should consider sending him to another country.

2 Comments:

Blogger Loving Angel said...

"ARE" thats Stereotyping?
you could have used "some", so do you think your smart? do you know everything? it's alright to put your oppinion be publicised in this manner be aware of what you preach.
Not all filifino are the same just so you know. just like when you're blond is that automatic that You are dumb?...

11:22 PM  
Blogger abi said...

@ loving angel - dear, the actual content didn't come from me. Please read the entry again. I think you misunderstood me big time.

2:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home