Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Really Desperate Housewives?

While browsing through countless multiply contacts, I came across this blog :

Desperate Housewives joke re MD Diplomas from PH: FUNNY OR DEROGATORY?

The long and short of it is that during a visit to her gyne, Terry Hatcher's character, Susan, said, "Can I just check those diplomas because I just want to make sure that they are not from some med school in the Philippines."

Here's a different take and the video clip: The Desperate Housewives Brouhaha

I didn't know how to react. Yes, it was racist. But I think it wasn't funny because it was directed at us. Had it been "not from some med school in India." I don't think many of us would raise an eyebrow. But I'm linking this petition to ABC "Filipino Americans demand for apology from ABC and Desperate Housewives" not because the remark was derogatory to Filipinos but because it was derogatory, period.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home